If National Lampoon started a Whiskey Company…
The Ohio River was the waterway for bourbon in the 1800’s, so it is not surprising that many distilleries were built to take advatage of this easy access to the whiskey market. German immigrant, August Krogman, saw opportunity and built his distillery in Tell City, Indiana, in 1863, rising to regional acclaim. Krogman’s was long gone, but MAD Beverage registered the trademark in 2019 and has now lauched a unique single barrel set of the nine masbills distilled at another certain Indiana distillery.
As Krogman’s explains, “Each whiskey is bottled at cask strength, with no chill filtering, featuring a unique nickname for each barrel used. The name of each whiskey reflects a different aspect of the American Whiskey world as it exists today on secondary selling and social media sites. While the names may be ironic, the liquid in the bottles certainly is not. The nine bottle set features four straight bourbons, three straight ryes, a single barrel corn whiskey, and a single barrel light whiskey. With a full set you can taste the entire array of bourbon and rye flavors.” Suggested retail price is $49.99 each.
- Tater Bait Single Barrel Bourbon 115-117 proof – (60% corn, 36% rye, 4% malted barley) This extremely high rye bourbon is a masterclass in balance and depth of flavor. Rich, fruit coating mouthfeel with mid-palate notes of leather, honey, and cocoa.
- Maxx Profitzz Single Barrel Rye 115-117 proof (95% rye, 5% malted barley) This is the rye mashbill that changed everything. Used as a straight whiskey in small proportions in blends for many years, this spice bomb, as a straight release, revolutionized the way bartenders and consumers looked at American rye. At cask strength with no chill filtering all the raw power and flavor are still there and stronger than ever.
- Dusty Hunterzzz Single Barrel Bourbon 115-117 proof (75% corn, 21% rye, 4% malted barley) This particular mashbill is ubiquitous in the industry, utilized in many brands, renowned for a balance of smooth red and tropical fruit, and a long cinnamon spice driven finish.
- Waxx Dippzz Single Barrel Bourbon 115-117 proof (51% corn, 45% wheat, 4% malted barley) This takes “wheater” to a whole new level with 45% wheat in the mash, the super lifted fruit notes lay over a bed of soft spice. More than doubling the wheated standard, this drinks like grain brandy.
- U.N.I. Corn Whiskey 115-120 proof (81% corn, 15% rye, 4% malted barley)
Lashings of fried sweet corn and butter. Candy corn, leather, mint. This whiskey is bursting at the seams with sweet corn flavor.
- Smash Bill Single Barrel Rye 115-117 proof (51% rye 45% corn, 4% malted barley) This corn forward rye combines the oily sweetness and mouthfeel of a bourbon with the mellow baking spices of a rye. Perfect for any occasion.
- Flipperzz Single Barrel Light Whiskey 134 proof (99% corn, 1% malted barley) Invented to compete with vodka, light whiskey is still used effectively in blends. High proof, but perfect for a high ball!
- Chuggzz Single Barrel Bourbon Whiskey 115-117 proof (99% corn, 1% malted barley) The extremely high corn content makes this a delectably sweet, fatty, oily, and unbelievably smooth single barrel.
- Buyy It Noww Single Barrel Rye 115-117 proof (51% rye, 49% malted barley) This is a malt lover’s dream. The biscuit sweetness and vanilla cake smoothness of a scotch, combined with the classic Lawrenceburg spice is a double knock out.